Green Lentil Dal
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, peeled|
|Beef broth||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs), canned|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemons||1 1⁄2 Medium|
|Chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) In a saucepan, heat the oil over moderate-low heat.
2) When the oil gets heated, add the onion and cook, mixing once in a while, until it starts to brown.
3) Mix in the cloves and broken cinnamon stick and cook further for a minute.
4) Now add the masoor and allow to cook for 5 minutes, mixing once in a while.
5) Add one after the other-the consomme, 3 3/4 cups hot water, and the salt.
6) Mix the mixture well, cover, and allow to cook for 15 minutes.
7) After 15 more minutes over moderate heat (it will be boiling), add the lemon juice, then toss lightly to mix in the rinds and add the chili powder.
8) Cook, covered with lid for another 50 minutes, until the lentils are cooked through.
9) Serve hot with rice or rotis.