Hamida Begum's Stuffed Lime Pickle
|Chili||1 1⁄4 Pound, dried|
|Dried red chili||1 1⁄4 Pound|
|Mustard seeds||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion seeds||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic cloves||1 Clove (5 gm), peeled|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm)|
|Mustard oil||3 3⁄4 Cup (60 tbs)|
1) Into a large bowl, squeeze the juice of 100 of the limes, cover with lid, and retain.
2) In a mortar,pound the red chiles fine or process them in a food processor or in batches in a blender and keep aside.
3) Into a large saucepan or preserving pan, put the rest of the limes and cover with plenty of water, allow to boil, reduce to a simmer and cook till have just become soft.
4) Drain the limes, dry them using a tea towel, and keep them aside.
5) In a frying pan, put the mustard seeds over low heat and dry-roast them for 2-3 minutes, shaking the pan once in a while.
6) The seeds should start releasing their aroma.
7) In the similar way,dry roast the cumin seeds and then the onion seeds.
8) Mix together the mustard, cumin, and onion seeds.
9) Take two-thirds of the mixture and pound it fine in a mortar or process it in a food processor or in batches in a blender.
10) Process the remaining seed mixture with the ground red chiles and the pounded or ground seed mixture.
11) In a mortar or a food processor or in batches in a blender with a little water, pound the garlic cloves to a paste, then drain off the water.
12) Combine the garlic with the chile and seed mixture, adding the salt and a litte of the lime juice to make a paste.
13) Cut the boiled limes halfway down into four.
14) Stuff the spice paste well into the limes.
15) In a large container,place them in, and also add the rest of the lime juice.
16) Warm the oil until it begins to sputter, then ladle it over the stuffed limes and whole green chiles.
17) Allow the mixture to cool down completely.
18) Now transfer it to glass or ceramic bottles and cover with nonmetallic, airtight lids.
19) Store in a cool, dark place or the refrigerator.
20) Serve the pickle with different dishes of your choice.
Calories 146 Calories from Fat 95
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g16.7%
Saturated Fat 1.3 g6.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.31 mg0.1%
Sodium 1824.4 mg76%
Total Carbohydrates 15 g4.9%
Dietary Fiber 5.7 g22.7%
Sugars 4.1 g
Protein 3 g5.2%
Vitamin A 64.8% Vitamin C 41.5%
Calcium 6.3% Iron 14.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet