Chicken Mulligatawny Soup
|Onion||1⁄2 , finely chopped|
|Carrots||2 , finely chopped|
|Cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cloves||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Plum tomatoes||14 Ounce, canned (With Their Juices, 2 Cups)|
|Canned plum tomatoes with juice||14 Ounce (2 Cups)|
|Chicken breasts||1 1⁄2 Pound (2 Whole Skinless, Boneless)|
|Skinless boneless chicken breasts||1 1⁄2 Pound (2 Whole Breasts)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Whole leaf spinach||10 Ounce, frozen chopped or thawed (1 Package)|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce (Or Thawed, 1 Package, Whole Leaf)|
|Black pepper||To Taste, freshly ground|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Plain yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Regular Or Low-Fat)|
|Curry powder||2 Teaspoon|
1) Cut the chicken breasts into 1/2 inch cubes.
2) In a large saucepan, saute the onion and carrots in the butter over a medium heat, then simmer covered over a low heat for about 5 minutes until tender.
3) Stir in the curry powder, cumin, cloves, tomatoes and their juices, then simmer over a low heat for 5 minutes.
4) Stir in the water and spinach, bring to a simmer, then stir in the chicken and simmer gently over a low heat for 3 minutes until the chicken thoroughly cooked.
5) Season to taste with salt and pepper and turn off the heat.
6) Whisk 1/2 cup of the hot soup into the yogurt to temper it, then stir into the hot soup, until blended.
7) Turn off the heat and adjust the seasoning.
8) Laddle into the soup bowls and serve immediately.