Kerala Pineapple Beef Curry With Cucumber Raita
|For the raita:|
|Plain yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|English hothouse cucumber||1⁄2 , grated|
|Hothouse cucumber||1⁄2 , grated|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh cilantro sprigs||2 (For Garnish)|
|For the rice|
|Basmati rice/Long grain american rice||2 Cup (32 tbs) (White Variety)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|For the curry|
|Light olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Top sirloin steak||1 Pound, cubed|
|White onion||1 Small, diced|
|Garlic||2 Tablespoon, minced|
|Ginger||2 Tablespoon, minced|
|Madras curry powder||2 Tablespoon (Or More To Taste)|
|Frozen pineapple juice concentrate/1 1/2 cups canned pineapple juice, reduced over high heat to 3/4 cup||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), thawed|
|Pineapple||1 Small, peeled, cored, and diced|
|Beef stock||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Coconut milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), unsweetened|
|Almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), toasted, slivered (For The Garnish:)|
|For the garnish|
|Toasted slivered almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh cilantro leaves||16|
|Mango chutney/Other fruit chutney||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1) In a mixing bowl, mix the grated cucumber, salt, pepper and coriander together and refrigerate until chilled.
2) Soak the rice in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold running water.
3) In a saucepan, add the rice, 4 cups cold water, salt and lemon juice, bring to a boil then partially cover and simmer over a low heat for 6 to 8 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Cover and keep warm
4) In a saucepan or deep heavy skillet, saute the cubed sirloin seasoned with salt in the oil for 5 minutes over a medium-high heat, until evenly browned.
5) Stir in the onion, garlic, and ginger, then saute for another 1 minute.
6) Stir in the curry powder and saute for 1 to 2 minutes until all the ingredients are well coated.
7) Stir in the pineapple juice concentrate, pineapple, stock, and coconut milk, then bring to a boil and simmer over a medium heat for 5 minutes. Adjust the seasonings and keep warm.
8) On each warm serving plate, place a mound of the rice and spoon over the curry.
Garnish with the almonds and cilantro and serve immediately with the bowls of chutney and raita on the side.