Curried Garbanzo Beans (Chana Dal)
|Garbanzo beans||4 Cup (64 tbs), cooked (2 Cups Dry)|
|Cooking liquid||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Root ginger||1⁄4 Inch|
|Garlic||1 Large, pressed|
|Turmeric||3⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Garam masala/1/4 teaspoon ground cloves||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cardamom||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Coriander||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Black pepper||1 Pinch, ground|
|Cayenne pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Coriander leaves||3 (For Garnish)|
1) In a 3-4 quart pot, roast the cumin seeds in the heated oil over a medium heat for one minute
2) In a food processor bowl with a metal blade, process the onion until finely chopped.
3) Stir into the pot and saute for about 3 minutes.
4) In the processor bowl, process the ginger until finely grated.
5) Stir the ginger and garlic into the pot, stir constantly and saute for a few seconds.
6) Stir in the turmeric, ground cumin, garam masala (or substitute) and cayenne and saute for 1 minute.
7) Stir in the garbanzo beans and cooking liquid, then cook covered for 15 minutes or until sauce has thickened.
8) Garnish with coriander leaves and serve immediately on individual serving plates.