Jangri or Imarti or Jhangri - Indian
|For the batter|
|Urad flour||100 Gram (1/2 cup - skinless split black gram)|
|Rice flour||30 Gram (1 tbsp)|
|Turmeric powder/Orange food color||1 Pinch|
|Saffron powder||1 Pinch|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (As needed to prepare the batter)|
|For the sugar syrup|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (As needed)|
|Saffron||1 Pinch (Few strands used)|
|Lime juice/Lemon juice||5 Drop|
|Rose syrup||5 Drop (If available) (Optional)|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
To prepare the batter:
1. In a bowl, add urad (sinless split black gram) flour, rice flour, turmeric powder and freshly ground saffron powder. Mix all these dry ingredients well.
2. Add water gradually in small amounts to make a lump free batter. Once done, set aside.
To prepare the sugar syrup:
3. In a pan, take sugar and water and bring it to a boil at medium-high heat. Once it starts boiling, bring down the heat to low-medium and simmer about 5 to 6 minutes.
4. While the syrup is simmering, add a few strands of saffron, a few drops of lime juice (to prevent crystallization) and a few drops of rose syrup.
5. Add cardamom powder and set aside.
6. In a pan, heat oil for frying the jangris, (keep the warm sugar syrup ready beside the pan).
7. When the oil is just warm enough, make the jangri in the oil, using two forks carefully flip sides and fry till crispy and golden brown.
8. Drop in the fried jangri into the warm sugar syrup, and let it sit in the syrup for about 30 seconds. Remove onto a serving plate. Meanwhile, let the temperature of the oil (for frying) come down to warm for further frying.
9. Serve the jangri warm or cold as per your preference.
While preparing the jangri, the oil for frying should be just warm enough to form the jangri shape well. Once the shape is made on the oil, you can increase the temperature of the oil to make crispy jangris.
Ensure that the sugar syrup is warm when you drop in the fried jangris.
Calories 365 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.4%
Saturated Fat 0.86 g4.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 10.6 mg0.4%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g23.9%
Dietary Fiber 4.6 g18.3%
Sugars 50.5 g
Protein 6 g12.6%
Vitamin A 7% Vitamin C 0.65%
Calcium 13.1% Iron 3.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet