Vaghareli Khichri or Khichdi - Vegetable Rice - Gujarati Cuisine
|For the seasoning|
|Mustard seeds/Poppy seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the khichdi|
|Eggplant||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Cauliflower||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Onions||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced (Optional)|
|Green beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), diced|
|Spinach||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Frozen or fresh)|
|Pigeon peas/Green peas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Green chili paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Raw peanuts||1 Tablespoon|
|Raw cashews||1 Tablespoon|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon (As per your taste)|
|Garam masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Basmati rice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Moong dal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Green gram with skin)|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Potato||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|For the garnishing|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Shredded coconut||2 Tablespoon|
1. Mix the moong dal and rice, wash and rinse them. Soak them in water for a couple of hours. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a pressure cooker with a couple of tbsp of oil, add mustard seeds or poppy seeds.
3. When they crackle, add cumin seeds and asafoetida.
4. Add the diced eggplants, cauliflower florets, onions (optional), green beans, spinach, pigeon peas, potatoes and stir all the vegetables well.
5. Add turmeric powder, ginger, garlic and green chili paste.
6. Add the raw cashews, peanuts and raisins, mix all the ingredients with the vegetables well.
7. Add salt and garam masala (optional), mix and let the vegetables saute for a couple of minutes.
8. Once the vegetables are cooked and tender, add the soaked and drained rice and moong dal mixture along with 3 cups of water.
9. Add cumin powder and stir well. Close the pressure cooker and cook till you hear 3 to 4 whistles of pressure release.
10. Garnish the Khichdi with shredded coconut and freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
11. Serve the vegetable khichdi with papad, pickle and a freshly cut salad.
Use vegetables as per your taste and preference.
You can use any variety of rice as per your preference; make sure you use the correct amount of water to cook the variety of rice you are using to cook this recipe.
Calories 419 Calories from Fat 90
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g16%
Saturated Fat 2.7 g13.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 601.1 mg25%
Total Carbohydrates 70 g23.3%
Dietary Fiber 7.7 g30.9%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 13 g25.5%
Vitamin A 23.5% Vitamin C 32.5%
Calcium 9.3% Iron 17.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet