|Rice flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Preferably Basmati Rice Flour)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Coconut||3 Cup (48 tbs), grated|
|Cardamom powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Jaggery||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1) In a pan, cook the coconut and jaggery together over a medium heat, stirring continuously, until thoroughly mixed.
2) Stir in the cardamom powder, mix well.
3) Remove from the heat and allow it completely cool down.
4) In a pan, bring 1/2 teaspoon oil and 1 1/2 cup of water to a boil.
5) When it comes to steady boil, add the ghee and salt.
6) Then immediately stir in the rice flour and stir continuously to remove all the lumps.
7) Cover with a lid and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes, stir and cook until the dough is neither too sticky nor too dry.
8) Remove the pan from heat. Transfer the mixture on a plate and knead thoroughly while still hot to make a soft dough.
9) Divide the dough into small balls, flatten each ball to form a cup shape and spoon about 1 tablespoon coconut mixture into this cup.
10) Dip thumb & index finger in the oil & make 5-6 small pinches side by side on the outside edges of the cup, then bring them together on top and join to form a peak.
11) Repeat with all the balls and coconut mixture and keep aside in a flat plate like metal strainer.
12) Place the strainer in a steamer, cover and steam for about 15 minutes.
13) Pour over ghee and serve the modaks hot this Ganesh Chaturthi.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2595 Calories from Fat 779
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 93 g142.5%
Saturated Fat 75.6 g377.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 13.4 mg4.5%
Sodium 541.3 mg22.6%
Total Carbohydrates 450 g150%
Dietary Fiber 25.9 g103.6%
Sugars 283 g
Protein 19 g37.4%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 14.1%
Calcium 33.4% Iron 63.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet