Aloo / Palak Bhaji
|Alu/Palak, spinach||5 Cup (80 tbs), chopped (Colocasia)|
|Peanuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chana dal||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Chickpea Or Garbanzo Beans)|
|Gram flour||1 Tablespoon, mixed in water (Besan)|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Tamarind pulp||To Taste|
|Green chilies||2 , finely chopped|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) In a pressure cooker, heat the oil, add green chiles, palak / alu, turmeric powder, red chilly powder, ground cumin and coriander.
2) Saute for a few seconds, then stir in chana dal, peanuts and cashews.
3) Cover with water and pressure cook for about 20 minutes.
4) Remove from the pressure cooker and mash the mixture with wooden masher, or a wire whisk until thoroughly blended.
5) Bring the mixture to a boil, then add jaggery, tamarind and adjust the consistency with water.
6) Stir in the besan mixture and salt, simmer over a low heat for 2-3 minutes.
7) In a small pan, heat 1 teaspoon oil, add mustard seeds and asafoetida, allow to splatter and stir into the prepared alu/palak mixture.
8) Serve the hot alu / palak bhaji with puri or rice.