Indian Creamed Spinach
|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon (1/2 Stick)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Turmeric||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Peeled ginger||1 Tablespoon, peeled, finely chopped|
|Ginger||1 Tablespoon, peeled, finely chopped|
|Mild green chili||1 Teaspoon, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped|
|Green chili||1 Teaspoon|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||2 , cut into 1/4 inch dice|
|Ripe plum tomatoes||2 , cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Red chili||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Red chili||1⁄2 Teaspoon, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped|
|Chicken broth/Homemade vegetable broth||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Homemade chicken broth/Fresh vegetable broth||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), defatted|
|Heavy cream/Whipping cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Remove and discard tough stems from spinach.
2. Rinse leaves with water and shake off to remove some of the water.
3. In a large heavy pot, place spinach and cover the pot.
4. Cook over medium-high heat with occasional stirring for 3-4 minutes until completely wilted.
5. Drain well and coarsely chop.
6. Keep aside.
7. In a heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat.
8. Add cumin seeds, coriander, turmeric; cook for 2 minutes.
9. Stir in onion and garlic and cook for 5-8 minutes until wilted and lightly golden.
10. Add ginger and green chili; stir and cook for 1 minute.
11. Add tomatoes and red chili.
12. Increase the heat to medium and cook for 8 minutes with frequent stirring.
13. Add the chopped spinach.
14. Stir and cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.
15. Pour in the broth and cream.
16. Season with salt.
17. Cook for 1 minute until all the ingredients are heated through.
18. Serve immediately.