Curried Lentils And Rice
|Lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs), rinsed|
|Chicken broth||4 Cup (64 tbs), canned|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Yellow onions||2 Medium, thinly sliced|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|White rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. In a large heavy skillet or stock pot, combine the lentils, broth/water and salt.
2. Place on a medium high flame and bring to a boil skimming off the scum .
3. Reduce the heat and let the lentils simmer for 20 minutes.
4. In the mean time, in a small skillet, heat the oil.
5. Add and sauté the onions just until soft and lightly colored.
6. Sprinkle generously with pepper and set aside until lentils are cooked.
7. Once lentils are tender, tip in the sautéed onion mixture, curry powder and rice. Stir gently to mix well
8. Cover the pan and simmer the lentils and rice for another 18 to 20 minutes over low heat, stirring occasionally until the rice is cooked. Add more water or stock if required while cooking.
9. Dish out into a casserole or serving dish.
10. Garnish with parsley and serve hot accompanied with a vegetable curry if you like