Exotic Lamb Curry
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Or More If Needed)|
|Boneless lamb shoulder/Lamb leg||3 Pound, cut into 2 x 1 1/2-inch cubes|
|Onions||2 , coarsely chopped to make about 3 cups|
|Garlic||6 Clove (30 gm), minced|
|Fresh ginger piece||1 Inch, peeled and minced|
|Granny smith apples/Other tart apples||2 , cored and cut into 1/2-inch cubes to make about 4 cups|
|Bananas||2 , sliced 1/4 inch thick to make about 2 cups (Slightly Underripe)|
|All-purpose flour||5 Tablespoon|
|Curry powder||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Best Quality)|
|Ground nutmeg||2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cardamom||1 Teaspoon|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 (Each 3 Inches Long)|
|Chicken broth||5 Cup (80 tbs), defatted|
|Coconut milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh cilantro leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
1) In a large heavy pot, over medium-high heat, heat oil and sauté lamb cubes in it in small batches until browned.
2) Transfer the cubes to a bowl and keep aside.
3) Add onions, garlic, ginger, apples, and bananas to the remaining oil.
4) Add in more oil, if required and then stir fry the ingredients in it for about 10 minutes over medium heat until they become soft and lightly colored.
5) Top the onion mixture with flour, curry powder, nut-meg, cardamom, and salt and then combine well after adding in cinnamon sticks.
6) Stir cook the mixture for 5 minutes until it becomes soft and releases an aroma of the spices.
7) Place the browned lamb cubes back to the pot and then pour in chicken broth, stirring well.
8) Allow the mixture to come to a boil over medium-high heat.
9) Lower the heat and then simmer the sauce, covered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally until it attains a creamy, thick consistency.
10) Take off the curry from heat and slowly mix in coconut milk and then the fresh cilantro.
11) Serve the curry warm over a bed of rice together with Raita.
Calories 704 Calories from Fat 436
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 49 g75.4%
Saturated Fat 20.7 g103.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 120.8 mg40.3%
Sodium 735.1 mg30.6%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g11.9%
Dietary Fiber 9 g35.9%
Sugars 11.3 g
Protein 34 g67.2%
Vitamin A 4.8% Vitamin C 14.9%
Calcium 12.6% Iron 45.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet