Glazed Lemon Twist
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Active dry yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (2 Packages)|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Sifted all purpose flour||5 Cup (80 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Grated lemon rind||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Melted butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Walnut halves||1 Tablespoon|
1. To make the basic sweet dough, take a small saucepan, scald milk stirring in butter or margarine, sugar and salt. Once all the ingredients are dissolved, take out from heat and allow to cool till lukewarm
2. In a large bowl, put moderately hot water and sprinkle yeast. Stir till all the yeast is dissolved. Stir in the above milk mixture and add the eggs.
3. Add half the flour and stir in vigorously till it the dough becomes smooth.
4. Add the remaining flour in portion to form a smooth dough that does not stick to the edges of the bowl.
5. On a floured pastry cloth or board, take the ball of dough and knead for 5 to 10 minutes. Sprinkle flour constantly on the board so that the dough does not stick to the board
6. In a large bowl, greased with shortening lightly, place the ball of dough and cover with clean towel. Keep aside in a warm place for about 50 minutes or until the dough doubles in bulk.
7. Once risen, punch the dough down and roll out into a floured pastry cloth. This makes your basic sweet dough.
8. On a floured pastry board, roll the basic sweet dough into a 10x16 rectangle.
9. Make a sugar-nut mixture by combining sugar, rind, and nuts. Keep aside.
10. Spread dough with melted butter or margarine and sugar-nut mixture.
11. Starting at long side of dough, roll up, jelly-roll fashion and press the edges to seal. Place on buttered cooky sheet.
12. Cut lengthwise through middle to within 1 inch of one end; turn strips cut side up. Twist strips around each other, keeping cut sides up, to form braid; seal ends
13. Cover all the dough bits with a clean towel. Place in a warm area away from draft breeze and allow to rise for 30 minutes or double in bulk
14. In a moderate oven of 350 Deg Fahrenheit, bake for 20 to 25 minutes till the surface is coated golden brown.
15. Remove from oven and allow to cool on wire rack or kitchen counter.
16. Serve with tea or coffee in the morning for breakfast or evenings.
17. Light and lovely snack to take on a picnic with children