Madras Vegetable Stew
|Red onion||1 Medium|
|Broccoli||1 Pound (Medium Sized Bunch)|
|Yellow summer squash/Butternut squash /pumpkin||3⁄4 Pound|
|Fresh ginger||1 Inch|
|Coriander||3 Ounce (Small Bunch)|
|Fresh hot green chilies||4|
|Plain yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cornstarch||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Light vegetable oil||5 Tablespoon|
|Curry powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
1) Peel onions and cut in 2 halves. Slice the halves into 1/4 inch thick slices and put aside.
2) Thoroughly wash broccoli and pat dry. Trim the stalk and cut florets into uniform 2 inch pieces.
3) If using summer squash, wash and chop into 1/2 inch slices measuring about 4 cups. In case butternut squash or pumpkin is being used then peel, core and deseed. Chop into 1/4 inch thick slices to measure about 4 cups.
4) Peel off ginger and chop roughly. Also, thoroughly wash coriander and pat dry with paper towels. Chop enough leaves and coriander steams to measure about 4 cups loosely.
5) Carefully, wash and slice the chilies.
6) Take a food blender and combine, ginger, coriander, chilies, yogurt, ground cumin, and cornstarch. Blend well and set aside.
7) Now, take a large heavy bottomed saucepan and heat about 2 tablespoons of oil over high-medium heat. Stir in curry powder in the hot oil and let it sizzle for about 10 seconds. Shake the pan all along.
8) Put in broccoli florets and squash and toss around to coat well with curry powder. Now, pour in yogurt and salt and stir well.
9) Take about 1 cup water and pour it into the food blender container and shake. Put the water in the saucepan with vegetables and stir.
10) Raise the saucepan heat to high and bring the curry to a boil. Now, lower the heat, cover the pan and let the curry simmer for about 5 minutes.
11) Increase the pan heat, take off the cover and boil the mixture rapidly for about a minute. Take the pan off the heat.
12) In a separate skillet, heat about 3 tablespoons of oil over high heat. Add cumin and mustard seeds and let them sputter. Cook for about 1 or 2 minutes, until the seeds turn dark.
13) Add onions to the skillet and saute until they begin to change color.
14) Pour hot stew in the serving dish and garnish with onion mixture. Serve immediately.