Old Fashioned Indian Pudding
|Milk||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Indian meal||5 Tablespoon|
|Molasses||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , well beaten|
|Sweet apples||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced very thin|
|Cold milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Collect and measure all the required ingredients
2. Prepare a double boiler pan by setting a saucepan filled with 3 inches of water over a medium low flame.
3. Butter a 2 quarter baking dish or pudding mold
4. Preheat the oven to 325° F
5. In a mixing bowl that fits over the double boiler, add the milk.
6. Place the bowl over the double boiler, and heat milk to scalding point, about 180 degree F / 82 degree C
7. Gradually stir in the cornmeal, cook for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent lumps.
8. Add butter, salt, spices and molasses and stir well.
9. Take the pan off the heat and add beaten eggs to mixture, a little at a time, stirring until all of it is blended completely.
10. Stir in the apples
11. Pour the mixture into the buttered dish
12. Bake the pudding for 30 minutes then remove and pour over it 1 cup milk.
13. Return immediately to the oven and continue baking for another 2 hours or until the pudding is set.
14. Remove pudding from the oven and allow it to cool slightly.
15. Take the dish to the table and spoon into bowls
16. Serve it warm with vanilla ice-cream or custard sauce if you like.
Calories 302 Calories from Fat 83
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.3%
Saturated Fat 5 g25.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 75.1 mg25%
Sodium 335.9 mg14%
Total Carbohydrates 51 g16.9%
Dietary Fiber 1.6 g6.3%
Sugars 34.1 g
Protein 7 g14%
Vitamin A 6.3% Vitamin C 2.3%
Calcium 25.9% Iron 14.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet