Fish in Tamarind Curry (Meen kulambu)
|Tamarind juice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Gingelly oil||5 Teaspoon|
|Fenugreek seeds||1 Teaspoon (methi)|
|Red chilli powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||4 Teaspoon|
|Grated coconut||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fennel seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Pearl onion||10 , unpeeled and chopped|
|Tomato||1 , finely chopped|
|Green chilly||1 , slit lengthwise|
|Curry leaves||14 (1 string)|
1. Clean the Fish well and keep aside.
2. Grind the coconut with fennel seeds, 3 pearl onions in to a fine paste and keep aside.
3. Heat oil in kadai, add the fenugreek seeds and saute till light brown.
4. Add the onions, green chilly, curry leaves and saute till transparent and then add the tomatoes and saute for 2mins.
5. Now add turmeric powder, red chilly powder, coriander powder, salt and saute for a min.
6. Add the grinded coconut paste and saute a 2mins till the raw smell goes(careful not to burn the masala).
7. Add the tamaind juice and 2 cups of water and adjust taste. Let it boil well for 5-8mins.
8. When the curry gets the right cosistency, keep the flame high and drop the fish pieces one by one slowly and boil for 5mins.
9. Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Tastes great with hot white rice. Enjoy!