Aloo Matar Potatoes and Peas
|Mustard seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds/Anise seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 , diced|
|Ground pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Red potatoes||1 Pound, diced|
|Peas||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Tomato juice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
1. Take a saucepan add mustard, cumin, coriander, fennel seeds over it on a medium heat. Shake the pan until seeds begin to crackle.
2. Use mortar, blender, or food processor to grind these toasted spcies.
3. Take a saucepan add butter, onion, toasted spices and fry over low heat until the onions become tender. This may take about 15 minutes.
4. Add turmeric, pepper and cardamom, stir well and remove from the heat.
5. Cool the masala and store it for future use. The masala can remain fresh for several days if refrigerated properly.
6. Take a skillet and cook the fried masala over medium heat.
7. Add potatoes and ¼ cup water.
8. Cook the mixture until it turns yellow due to the turmeric. This may take about 10 minutes.
9. Add tomato juice, salt and peas and cook well.
10. Cook the potatoes over low heat for additional 5 minutes until they become soft.
11. Serve fresh. If kept for a long time the flavor may mellow down. But it can be revived if the dish is gently heated.
Calories 195 Calories from Fat 69
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.1%
Saturated Fat 4 g20.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16.1 mg5.4%
Sodium 96.3 mg4%
Total Carbohydrates 29 g9.6%
Dietary Fiber 6 g23.8%
Sugars 5.9 g
Protein 6 g11.5%
Vitamin A 15.2% Vitamin C 71.8%
Calcium 9.6% Iron 23.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet