Kulcha - Indian Flat Bread
|For the yeast mixture|
|Warm water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Rapid rise yeast||2 Teaspoon|
|Dry ingredients for the dough|
|All purpose flour/Wheat flour||2 Cup (32 tbs) (A combination of both the flours may also be used)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (As per your taste)|
|Wet ingredients for the dough|
|Melted ghee||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Yogurt||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the dusting while rolling the dough|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (For dusting)|
|For the kulcha|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Cilantro||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped finely|
|Green chilies||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a bowl, take 3/4 cup of luke warm water add sugar and rapid rise yeast. Cover and let it rest for about 10 minutes undisturbed.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and salt well and keep aside.
3. Once the yeast mixture is ready, into it add melted ghee, yogurt and mix it well.
4. Gradually add the flour mixture, a little at a time to this ghee and yogurt mixture and continue mixing.
5. Knead the dough well using your hands. Add more yogurt/water as required to form a soft dough.
6. Cover and let it rest for about 15 minutes.
7. After 15 minutes, moisten your palms with a little oil and make separate balls from the sticky dough. Put them into another bowl, cover and let it rest for another 15 minutes to rise. (After 15 minutes when the dough has risen again, place the bowl in the refrigerator to make the kulchas later).
8. Meanwhile turn on the oven to about 500 F and preheat placing a pizza baking stone/tray into the oven. Place the baking stone on the top rack.
9. Once the balls of dough have risen, take each big ball, dust with some flour and roll it into about 3-inches diameter.
10. Place some finely chopped onions, cilantro and green chilies in the center of the rolled dough. Gather all the edges together, seal and press lightly to roll again.
11. Place the rolled kulchas on to the preheated pizza baking stone and bake in batches (depending on the size of the baking stone). Bake for about 8 minutes till golden brown in color.
12. Serve warm as it is or with any Indian dish.
Use shredded paneer along with the finely chopped onions for paneer kulcha.
Calories 261 Calories from Fat 80
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g14.1%
Saturated Fat 5.5 g27.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 24.2 mg8.1%
Sodium 336.9 mg14%
Total Carbohydrates 39 g12.9%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8.2%
Sugars 4.9 g
Protein 6 g12%
Vitamin A 3.5% Vitamin C 24.3%
Calcium 3.9% Iron 13.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet