1. Boil the potatoes until they are soft; let it cool.
2. Peel and chop the potatoes in small pieces.
3. In a frying pan, heat oil on medium high. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away, then oil is ready.
4. Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafetida and wait for the seeds to crackle.
5. Combine turmeric, potatoes, green chili, and salt; stir-fry for a few minutes.
6. Add lemon juice and cilantro; mix well.
7. Cook the potatoes till slightly moist and not very dry.
8. Serve hot as a side dish or filling for masala dosa.
Try adding 2 tablespoons of shredded carrots and 1/8 cup of green peas to potato mixture.
Chef has a spicy Indian curry dry called aloo-masala which is a tasty addition to dosa or Indian crepes or can be enjoyed with parathas. She makes the dish with great details for the viewers to get an authentic Indian dish at the end. Nevertheless, it is a quick and easy to make dish.