1. Take fresh ripe lemons, wash and rinse them well.
2. Cut each of them into halves and then again cut them further into cubes of equal sizes. (You can discard the seeds)
3. In a bowl, put the cubed pieces of lemon/lime, add salt and turmeric powder. Toss to combine the ingredients very well with the lemon cubes.
4. Store the lemon cubes in an air tight glass or plastic jar for almost 30 days until tender. Shake it every 2 to 3 days well.
5. Prepare the homemade pickle masala by mixing together red chili powder, turmeric powder, coarsely ground fenugreek seeds, asafoetida and salt. Store in an air tight container.
6. Take about 1/2 cup of the pickled lemon in a bowl and mix 2 tablespoons of the homemade pickle masala and 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
7. Serve as a condiment with any Indian dish, as per your choice of taste or preference.
The pickle (achar) masala can be store bought or prepared at home using the ingredients listed.
Those who are fond of eating pickles will surely relish this one. The chef makes the recipe easy to follow by her useful tips. She makes the spicy version but you can make sweet lime pickle as well by adding sugar. Your family and guests will enjoy it. Do watch the video for the useful recipe.