Chicken Poached In Milk and Curry
|Chicken||3 Pound, wings removed and reserved for another use, the rest skinned and cut into serving pieces (1 Bird)|
|Milk||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Onions||2 Large, thinly sliced to make about 3 cups|
|Fresh thyme/1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves||2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), crushed|
|Curry powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||1|
|Green peas||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||1 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat the oven to 325° F.
2) Take a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan; heat over medium heat and combine milk, onions, bay leaves, thyme, garlic, curry powder, salt and two or three generous grindings of pepper in it.
3) Remove the pan from the heat immediately after bringing the liquid just to a boil.
4) Let it stand for 30 minutes so that the flavors can steep in the milk.
5) Take a baking dish, 9 by 13 inches, just large enough to tightly arrange the chicken pieces in it.
6) Pour the milk-and-onion mixture over the chicken pieces after bringing the mixture to a simmer again.
7) Keep aside the saucepan but do not wash it.
8) Cover the chicken pieces that protrude from the liquid with the onion slices to prevent it from drying out during cooking.
9) Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes until the juices run clear when a thigh is pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
10) Remove the dish from the oven and lift off the chicken pieces from their poaching liquid and arrange in four shallow serving bowls or soup plates.
11) Into the saucepan, strain the poaching liquid saving some of the drained onion slices to garnish each piece of chicken.
12) Keep the bowls in the turned off oven to maintain the warmness of the chicken while preparing the sauce.
13) Reduce the liquid by about one quarter (approximately 2 1/4 cups of liquid) in the saucepan by cooking over medium heat.
14) Stir in peas and cook for about five minutes until they are soft.
15) Swirl in the butter after removing the pan from the heat.
16) Spoon some of the sauce and peas over the warmed chicken kept in the bowls and serve immediately.