|Milk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Unsulphured molasses||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar in the raw||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dates||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), dried|
1. Prepare a double boiler. Use a sturdy 2 or 4 quart sauce pan.
2. Fill the sauce pan with 2 or 3 inches of water and bringing it to a steady boil. Reduce the heat so that the water is just below boiling point
3. Use a heavy-duty metal bowl large enough to fit down into the sauce pan without touching the bottom.
4. Combine the milk, egg, cornmeal, sugar, molasses, salt and spices in the bowl
5. Once ingredients have blended, fit the metal bowl down into the saucepan with simmering water.
6. Cook the custard on a low flame, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to coat the back of the spoon.
7. Remove metal bowl from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and chopped dates.
8. Serve the custard hot in sherbet glasses or dessert bowls. Garnish with chopped nuts if desired.
9. Accompany with cream poured from a sauce boat.
Calories 167 Calories from Fat 32
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4 g5.6%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 42.8 mg14.3%
Sodium 126.5 mg5.3%
Total Carbohydrates 32 g10.5%
Dietary Fiber 2 g7.9%
Sugars 23.3 g
Protein 4 g8.9%
Vitamin A 2.4% Vitamin C 0.16%
Calcium 10.5% Iron 4.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet