Riverside Red Beans And Rice
|Dry red beans||1 Pound|
|Cold water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Hot water||6 Cup (96 tbs)|
|Smoked ham hocks||1 Pound|
|Chopped onion||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Chopped celery||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sliced green onion||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Snipped parsley||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomato sauce||8 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Garlic cloves||2 Large, minced|
|Worcestershire sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried basil||1 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Hot pepper sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Dried thyme||1⁄4 Teaspoon, crushed|
|Cooked smoked sausage||2 Pound, cut into bite size pieces|
|Hot cooked rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Wash beans.
2. In a Dutch oven, pour 6 cups of cold water and put beans in it.
3. Boil the water and lower the flame and continue cooking for 2 more minutes.
4. Put the lid on and let the beans stay for an hour.
5. Beans can also be soaked overnight.
6. Once done, strain and wash the beans.
7. Put 6 cups hot water, rinsed beans, ham hocks and bay leaves in the Dutch oven and boil for 2 hours on low flame.
8. Put onion, celery, green onion, parsley, tomato sauce, garlic, salt, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, sugar, basil, hot pepper sauce, and thyme and simmer for 1- 1 ½ more hour.
9. Mash the beans with a spatula (optional).
10. Take the ham hocks out and pull the meat and put it back in the Dutch oven.
11. Put sausage and cook for 15 minutes until cooked.
12. Toss the beans over rice and serve.