Methi Matar Bhakri or Paratha - Flavored Flat Bread for Breakfast
|For the fenugreek-green peas mixture|
|Fenugreek leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green peas||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Green chilies||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Yogurt||2 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|For the dough|
|Wheat flour||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chick pea flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Semolina||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon (Adjust to your taste)|
|Ghee||1⁄2 Teaspoon (To smooth out the surface of dough)|
To prepare the fenugreek and green peas mixture:
1. Into a bowl take the fresh fenugreek leaves, green peas, roughly chopped fresh cilantro (coriander leaves) and green chilies. Add about 2 to 3 tablespoons of yogurt and 4 tablespoons of oil.
2. Using an electronic hand blender, blend this mixture well until smooth.
To prepare the dough:
3. In a bowl mix together, wheat flour, chick pea flour, semolina, turmeric powder, salt and ginger paste.
4. Add the prepared fenugreek and green peas mixture to the flour mixture and knead to form a semi-soft dough.
5. Smooth out the surface of the dough with a little ghee. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
6. Using a roller board and pin, roll out the bhakris just as chapatis or rotis are rolled out.
7. Bake or roast over a tawa for about a minute or two till you see the bubbles on either side, then flip them directly over the stove and bake.
8. An alternate option is to bake the bhakris in a pan, drizzling some oil on the edges. Flip sides till they are completely done.
9. If desired, you can also deep fry the bhakris like puris.
10. Serve hot, smeared with a little ghee or butter with a pickle or raita of your choice.
Bajra (millet flour), jowar flour, rice flour or corn flour may also be used.
You do not require water to knead this dough.
Do not let the dough rest for more than 15 to 20 minutes, as water release would cause the dough to becomes more soft. So if you are not preparing the bhakris immediately after 15 to 20 minutes, refrigerate the dough and take it out before preparing the bhakris/parathas.
2. Roller pin and board