Traditional Kerala Puttu (Breakfast Item)
|Puttu podi||2 Cup (32 tbs) (fried rice powder)|
|Grated coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Grated cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Luke warm water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Mix little salt in half cup of warm water.
2. Mix 1/2 tsp of grated cumin and 1/2 tsp of sugar with the rice powder.
3. Sprinkle water on the rice powder and start mixing it so as to make the powder wet.
4. Keep on sprinkling water and continue mixing, till u can make lumps that do not break.
5. After the mixture has enough moisture, run it in a grinder for a few seconds so that there are no lumps.
6. For making Puttu, there is a special vessel known as Puttu Kutti which is placed on top of another vessel called Puttu Kudam.
7. Fill the PuttuKudam with water, not more than half its capacity.
8. Place a handful of grated coconut in the Puttukutty (special utensil) and then add the rice mixture till half, now add another handful of grated coconut.
9. Close the lid and place the PuttuKutti on the PuttuKuddam and steam the Puttu for about 10-12 minutes.
10. It is ready to be served with Mutta Curry (Egg Roast) or Kadala Curry (Bengal Gram Curry)or even with bananas.
Visit my website http://malayali.me for more recipes !!!
Calories 960 Calories from Fat 87
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.9%
Saturated Fat 6.9 g34.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 202.7 mg8.4%
Total Carbohydrates 197 g65.7%
Dietary Fiber 7.6 g30.2%
Sugars 2.8 g
Protein 15 g29.9%
Vitamin A Vitamin C 1.1%
Calcium 4.1% Iron 10.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet