Dal Fry - Easy, Quick and One Pot Lentil Curry
|Ghee/Regular butter / regular cooking oil may also be used||2 Teaspoon (Clarified butter)|
|Dry whole red chilies||3 Medium|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||8 Medium|
|Onions||1 Medium, chopped|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, chopped|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Coriander powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Tur dal||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), washed, soaked (Split pigeon peas - skinless)|
|Chana dal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), washed, soaked (Split Bengal gram - skinless)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (As required)|
|Fresh cilantro||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely (For the garnish)|
1. Wash and soak the dals separately for about 4 to 6 hours. Drain and set aside just before cooking.
2. Heat a pressure cooker with about 2 tablespoons of ghee (clarified butter).
3. When the ghee melts, add dry while red chilies and mustard seeds.
4. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the cumin seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder and the fresh curry leaves.
5. Add the chopped onions and saute a little bit. Then add the tomatoes, stir and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
6. Add ginger, garlic and green chili paste, salt to taste, coriander powder and stir well so that all the ingredients are well combined.
7. Add the tur dal and chana dal along with water. Cover the cooker and let it cook till you hear about 5 to 6 whistles of pressure release. (The amount of time for cooking varies from dal to dal).
8. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and serve the dal fry with rice, roti, naan or paratha.
You can use a pressure cooker or an open pot for cooking this recipe. Make sure you cook on a medium heat.
Calories 116 Calories from Fat 25
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.5%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g5.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4.5 mg1.5%
Sodium 109.6 mg4.6%
Total Carbohydrates 18 g6.1%
Dietary Fiber 5.8 g23.4%
Sugars 3.2 g
Protein 6 g11.6%
Vitamin A 15.9% Vitamin C 17.7%
Calcium 4.5% Iron 9.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet