Simple Chickpea Curry is an amazing spicy dish and makes a complete meal when served with the cooked rice or bread. The chickpeas are nicely blended in the tomatoes, spices and yogurt imparting a hot and tangy taste to tickle your tastebuds. Try out the Simple Chickpea Curry and enjoy!
Canned chick peas/Canned garbanzo beans
12 Ounce, drained, rinsed
1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
1. In a bowl mix up the spice mixture: garam masala, turmeric powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, curry powder and salt.
2. In a pan, add in the butter and oil and let it melt.
3. When pan is hot sauté the onion until just starting to turn brown.
4. Add in the ginger, garlic and spice mixture, after a minute or two add in the tomatoes.
5. Lower the heat and cook until it appears like a paste then pour in the water and cook for a few seconds.
6. Stir in the chick peas, and yogurt. Smash the chickpea with fork and cook until the sauce is thick.
7. Serve chickpeas over rice or with bread.
Indians abroad crave for their mother’s chickpea curry. Watch this video and learn how to make this classic Punjabi curry in a few minutes using canned garbanzo beans. This recipe comes pretty close to the one made by simmering the curry for hours. Infact if you have some vegetarian friends over and want to impress them with Indian food, this curry is something that you must make. Serve it with rice, roti or with poori. Keep the leftovers refrigerated, it tastes very good next day.