Haandi Carrot Pulao
|Basmati rice||18 Ounce (1 Pound 2 Ounce / 500 Grams)|
|Butter||4 Ounce (125 Gram)|
|Corn oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Black cumin seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 Large, diced|
|Natural yogurt||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger pulp||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic pulp||1 Teaspoon|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground almonds||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground coconut||1 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Carrots||2 , sliced|
|Sultanas||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
|Flaked almonds||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Water||1 3⁄4 Pint (1 Liter)|
|Carrot||1 , grated (For Garnish)|
|Chopped fresh coriander||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1. Wash the rice until the water runs clear and leave in a bowl to soak.
2. Heat the butter with the corn oil in a large saucepan and fry the cardamoms, cinnamon and black cumin seeds over a medium heat for 1 minute. Lower the heat, add the onion and fry slowly for 3-5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the yogurt in a bowl and add the salt, ginger, garlic, chilli powder, ground almonds, ground coconut, lemon juice, sugar and carrots.
4. Add the spice mixture to the onion and stir-fry for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture has thickened, forming a thick sauce.
5. Drain the rice thoroughly in a sieve, then add to the pan with the sultanas and flaked almonds. Blend everything together, then pour in the water and bring to the boil. Lower the heat, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed.
6. Let the rice stand for 10 minutes, then transfer to a shallow dish and garnish with the grated carrot and fresh coriander.