Soft Spongy Khaman Dhokla
|Split bengal gram||300 Milliliter|
|Soda bicarbonate||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger piece||1⁄2 Pinch|
|Mustard seeds||1 Pinch|
|Grated coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Soak the gram overnight. Grind, but not too fine.
2. Beat with a circular motion to incorporate air. Leave to ferment till evening.
3. After it is fermented, add half the oil, salt, asafoetida, ground green chillies and ginger, and soda bicarbonate mixed with a little water. Beat again.
4. Grease a thali or a pyrex pie dish about 5 cm. (2") deep with a little oil. Spread the mixture on it about 2.5 cm. (1") thick.
5. Steam and remove. Allow to cool slightly.
6. Heat remaining oil. Add mustard seeds. As seeds crackle, add curry leaves and pour over 'Dhokla'.
7. Serve garnished with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
Calories 451 Calories from Fat 200
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.5%
Saturated Fat 5.3 g26.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 290.8 mg12.1%
Total Carbohydrates 50 g16.6%
Dietary Fiber 14.2 g56.9%
Sugars 9.6 g
Protein 15 g30.5%
Vitamin A 8.3% Vitamin C 49.1%
Calcium 27.5% Iron 2.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet