Soft Spongy Khaman Dhokla
|Split bengal gram||300 Milliliter|
|Soda bicarbonate||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger piece||1⁄2 Pinch|
|Mustard seeds||1 Pinch|
|Grated coconut||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Soak the gram overnight. Grind, but not too fine.
2. Beat with a circular motion to incorporate air. Leave to ferment till evening.
3. After it is fermented, add half the oil, salt, asafoetida, ground green chillies and ginger, and soda bicarbonate mixed with a little water. Beat again.
4. Grease a thali or a pyrex pie dish about 5 cm. (2") deep with a little oil. Spread the mixture on it about 2.5 cm. (1") thick.
5. Steam and remove. Allow to cool slightly.
6. Heat remaining oil. Add mustard seeds. As seeds crackle, add curry leaves and pour over 'Dhokla'.
7. Serve garnished with grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.