Dum Aloo (Baby Potato Curry) - Indian
|For the baby potatoes|
|Baby potatoes||1⁄2 Kilogram|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Boiled in salt water)|
|For the curry|
|Ghee/Regular butter||1 Teaspoon (Cooking oil may also be used as an alternate ingredient)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Onion puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon (Contains mace, nutmeg powder, green cardamom, brown cardamom)|
|Red chili powder||2 Teaspoon (Use according to your taste)|
|Yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs), beaten|
|For the garnishing|
|Cardamom powder||1 Pinch, freshly ground|
|Fresh cilantro||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Cooking oil spray/Olive oil spray||1|
1. Take the baby potatoes, and using a knife scrape off the surface of the skin. (Do not peel the skin).
2. Once done for each of them, put them in a bowl of water, to clean the skin completely.
3. Using a fork prick each of the baby potatoes a few times all over.
4. Put them into another pot of water with salt in it. Boil them for about 10 minutes.
5. Preheat the toaster oven to 350 F.
6. When the baby potatoes are done cooking, drain out the potatoes and pat them dry.
7. Line the potatoes on the baking tray in a single layer and spray some olive oil/cooking oil on the baby potatoes. Bake in the preheated oven.
8. Heat a pan with ghee, when the ghee melts, add cumin seeds, asafoetida (hing), turmeric powder, ginger paste and garlic paste. Stir for a minute or two.
9. Add tomato puree, stir, cover the pan and let it cook a little.
10. Add salt to taste, cover and cook again for a couple of minutes.
11. Add the onion paste, garam masala, red chili powder and stir to mix all the ingredients well.
12. Add the cooked baby potatoes and stir gently. Add water if required.
13. Add the beaten yogurt, stir gently, cover with the lid and let it simmer fr a while.
14. Garnish with a pinch of freshly ground cardamom powder and finely chopped cilantro and take off the heat.
15. Serve the dum aloo hot with rice, roti, naan, paratha or with puff puris.
Instead of boiling the potatoes, they can even be soaked in salt water for 2 hours, to let the potatoes soak in the salt.
As an alternative to baking the potatoes, they can even be deep fried.
To adjust the taste of the dish to your preference, you can add heavy cream or khoya or even milk powder at the end.
To prepare the onion paste, saute onions, almonds and a little salt. When slightly brown and done, let the mixture cool, and then blend to form a paste.
To prepare the tomato puree, tomatoes may be boiled, cooled and then pureed.
2. Baking tray (Toaster oven used for baking since only a small quantity of baby potatoes used)
3. Cooking spray - Olive oil or any cooking oil spray may be used to grease the baby potatoes