Learn how to make your own papad or papadum at home.
Black gram flour
1 Cup (16 tbs)
White chili powder/Red chili powder
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as needed)
1. In a bowl, take one cup of black gram flour (from skinless black grams).
2. To this, add the white chili powder, salt, papad khar and a pinch of asafoetida (hing). Mix well using your hands.
3. Gradually add water a little at a time and knead the flour into a hard dough.
4. Pound the dough on a hard surface for about 3 to 4 minutes. Moisten your palms and the dough with oil while pounding. Continue to pound using a hard tool until you get a smooth dough.
5. Once you get a smooth dough, start pulling it apart with your hands by stretching it a few times. Continue stretching the dough for a couple of minutes; moistening your hands with oil occasionally.
6. Using both your hands, fold the dough from both the ends inwards continuously forming a tight round ball of dough. (Watch the video to see the chef demonstrating the same)
7. Once done, using your hands, roll it into a log shape. Then cut 1-inch pieces of the dough from one end using a knife or one end of a nylon string tied at the other end, just as the chef demonstrates in the video.
8. Coat the cut pieces of the dough liberally with oil and keep aside in an air tight container.
9. Take each pieces, spread some oil on it and start rolling on a flat aluminium or tin surface. Roll firmly into thin round sheets. While rolling do not rotate the dough , instead rotate the board on which you are rolling to form the round shape of the dough.
10. Once all the papads are rolled, dry them out under the sun. Do not over dry them such that they become brittle.
11. The rolled and sun-dried papads may be roasted in the microwave oven or over the ceramic stove (over a grilled iron rack) or even directly over the flame.
12. Serve the papads fresh with any Indian meal.
Papads of flavors can be prepared by adding red chili powder or the green chili and garlic.
Things You Will Need
1. Roller pin
2. Roller board made of aluminium or tin
Have you ever tried making papad at home? Chef Bhavna shows how to make papad right from making the dough to roasting it. Papad is an important part of the meal for Indians. The chef has made garlic and green chilli papad too, similarly you can add your own favorite ingredient. Do watch the video, before trying it at home.