Jackfruit Mango Pickle
|Jackfruit||1⁄2 Kilogram, pieces|
|Mango||1⁄2 Kilogram, pieces|
|Oil||1 Kilogram (Preferably Mustard)|
|Turmeric powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Chilly powder||3 Tablespoon|
|Onion seeds||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Fenugreek seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1 Tablespoon|
1. With a sharp knife, remove the thick outer skin of the jackfruit, and cut into fairly large pieces. These should weigh 1/2 kg.
2. Wash, wipe and deseed the mangoes, and cut into large pieces. These should weigh 1/2 kg.
3. Keeping aside 1 tablespoon aniseeds whole, dry roast the rest of the masalas one by one until done. Cool thoroughly, and then powder roughly.
4. Heat some of the oil and stir fry the jackfruit pieces to a golden colour. Remove and cool thoroughly.
5. In the same oil put in the whole aniseeds and fry adding the turmeric and chilly powders. Stir for 1-2 minutes. Transfer this masala to the jackfruit pieces, add the mango pieces, salt and the roasted powdered masalas, and put all these into a jar.
6. Heat the rest of the oil, cool and pour over the ingredients in the jar. Mix thoroughly, cover the jar, sun and store.