Malpua or Malpura or Malpuva( Sweet Pan Cakes)
|Jaggery/Regular sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Dissolved in water)|
|Wheat flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Melted ghee||1 Tablespoon|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (1 1/2 to 2 cups of water required for 1 cup of wheat flour)|
|Cardamom powder||1 Pinch|
|Baking soda||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Poppy seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Pistachios||1 Tablespoon, slivered|
1. In a small bowl with jaggery, add a little water and stir to dissolve the jaggery in the water. Set it aside.
2. In another small bowl, melt ghee by putting it into the microwave for 30 seconds. Melted ghee is to be used in the cooking process of the recipe.
3. Take a mixing bowl with wheat flour in it. Add the melted ghee and mix.
4. Using a strainer pour the water (jaggery dissolved in it) into the bowl of wheat flour. Using a spatula start blending the flour and jaggery water.
5. Add more water if required and blend using an electronic hand blender (if it is difficult to blend using your spatula).
6. Cover the bowl and let the batter rest for about 6 hours.
7. Once the batter has rested for 6 hours, add a pinch of cardamom powder and baking soda (if using) and mix well.
8. Heat a pan with oil for frying. Once the oil is ready, using a small bowl with an edge to pour the batter into the oil (Watch the video for how to pour the batter).
9. When the malpua turn golden brown on one side, flip the side carefully using two spatulas. Once both sides are done, drain into a paper towel to remove excess oil.
10. While the malpuas are hot, sprinkle with poppy seeds and the slivered pistachios.
11. Serve warm.
Using regular sugar instead of jaggery would make the malpuva chewy instead of crispy. Use jaggery if you prefer a crispy sweet pancake.
2. Electronic hand blender - to blend the flour mixture well
3. One non-stick pan
Calories 217 Calories from Fat 77
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 9 g13.6%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 6.7 mg2.2%
Sodium 45 mg1.9%
Total Carbohydrates 33 g11.1%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.7%
Sugars 15.2 g
Protein 4 g8.1%
Vitamin A 0.3% Vitamin C 0.29%
Calcium 6.2% Iron 8.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet