1 Cup (16 tbs), julienned (If available) (Optional)
For the seasoning
5 Medium, torn
4 Small (Use as per taste)
1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)
1. In a bowl mix cabbage and salt well. Cover it let it dehydrate for a minimum of 15 minutes and a maximum of 30 minutes.
2. After 30 minutes, squeeze out all water released from the cabbage and put it in a bowl.
3. Add all the vegetables into the bowl with the cabbage. Toss to mix well. Set aside.
4. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add mustard seeds, a pinch of asafoetida (hing), turmeric powder, curry leaves and green chilies.
5. Give it a quick stir and add all the vegetables. Stir well for a few minutes.
6. Finally add a little sugar (optional).
7. Serve the sambharo (cabbage salad) with any Indian dish.
If you are wondering how to use up your cabbage, here is an amazing Indian style warm cabbage salad recipe for you. Take a look at this video that presents this Gujarati side dish which is a great accompaniment to the everyday meal. Watch this interesting video and prepare this appetizing colorful cabbage salad, your family would surely love it.