Sambharo - Stir Fry Cabbage Salad
|Cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely into long strips|
|The other vegetables|
|Raw mango||1 Small, julienned (Optional)|
|Lemon||1 Tablespoon (Omit if using mango)|
|Bell peppers||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), julienned|
|Carrot||1 Large, julienned|
|Papaya||1 Cup (16 tbs), julienned (If available) (Optional)|
|For the seasoning|
|Mustard seeds||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||5 Medium, torn|
|Green chilies||4 Small (Use as per taste)|
|Sugar||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
1. In a bowl mix cabbage and salt well. Cover it let it dehydrate for a minimum of 15 minutes and a maximum of 30 minutes.
2. After 30 minutes, squeeze out all water released from the cabbage and put it in a bowl.
3. Add all the vegetables into the bowl with the cabbage. Toss to mix well. Set aside.
4. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add mustard seeds, a pinch of asafoetida (hing), turmeric powder, curry leaves and green chilies.
5. Give it a quick stir and add all the vegetables. Stir well for a few minutes.
6. Finally add a little sugar (optional).
7. Serve the sambharo (cabbage salad) with any Indian dish.
Calories 150 Calories from Fat 71
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 8 g12.4%
Saturated Fat 1.1 g5.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 261.8 mg10.9%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g6.9%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g13.9%
Sugars 15.1 g
Protein 1 g2.8%
Vitamin A 81% Vitamin C 118.9%
Calcium 3.7% Iron 3.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet