Bateta Vada or Aaloo Bonda - Spicy Potato Balls
|For the batter|
|Bengal gram flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Corn starch||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Baking soda||1 Pinch (Optional)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as required for the batter)|
|Chili powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|For the potato mixture|
|Potatoes||2 Medium, boiled, mashed (Peeled, washed and boiled)|
|Coriander leaves||1 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Red onions||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
|Garlic paste||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Pinch|
|Coriander and cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Lemon juice||2 Teaspoon|
1. Peel and wash the potatoes. In a pressure cooker, steam the potatoes over boiling water till you hear about 4 whistles of pressure release. Once done, set aside.
2. Meanwhile to prepare the batter; into a bowl add gram flour, salt, turmeric, baking soda (optional), chili powder (optional) and corn starch. Mix all the ingredients well.
3. Slowly add water and make the lump free batter. Once the batter is ready, add a tablespoon of oil and mix it. Set the batter aside.
4. When the potatoes are done, take them into a mixing bowl and add finely chopped fresh cilantro, finely chopped red onions, a pinch of asafoetida, garlic paste, ginger paste, green chili paste, red onions (if using), a pinch of turmeric powder, coriander-cumin powder, sugar and lime juice.
5. Use a masher and mash the potatoes well along with all the spices, so that they are incorporated well into the potatoes. Give the mashed potato mix a taste and add salt if required.
6. Heat oil in a round bottom pan for frying. Once the oil is hot, take small portions of the potato mix and make balls, drop them into the prepared batter and deep fry them in oil till golden brown.
7. Drain into a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
8. Serve the bateta vadas with a chutney of your choice.
Sweet potato or raw banana are the other two alternate ingredients you can use for this recipe instead of the potatoes.
Adding corn starch to the batter helps make the bateta vadas crispy.
2. A potato masher