Pav Bhaji -Part 1
|For boiling the vegetables|
|Potatoes||2 Medium, chopped|
|Cauliflower florets||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Carrots||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced|
|Tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Green bell pepper||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Green peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), divided (Frozen, thawed and cooked for about 5 minutes in the microwave oven; reserve some for garnish)|
|Green beans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), cut into 1-inch pieces|
|Fresh cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Salt||1 Tablespoon (Use as required)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as required to cook the vegetables)|
|Dry peas||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Soaked in water for a couple of hours and cooked separately)|
|For sauteing the vegetables|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Red onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Ginger paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Pav bhaji garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Crushed tomatoes||8 Tablespoon, canned|
|For the seasoning|
|Brown sugar/Regular sugar||1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely (For garnishing)|
1. Soak the dry peas in water for a couple of hours. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a pressure cooker with some oil, add the potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, tomatoes, green bell pepper and green beans.
3. Add the green peas (keep aside some for garnish), cilantro and salt. Add a little water, close the pressure cooker and cook till you hear about 2 to 3 whistles of pressure release. Do not overcook the vegetables.
4. In a separate pressure cooker, cook the soaked and drained dry peas till you hear about 8 whistles of pressure release. (Dry peas takes more time to cook than the vegetables).
5. In a pan, heat some oil for sauteing the vegetables, add cumin seeds, asafoetida, finely chopped red onions. Add ginger and garlic paste and saute.
6. Add turmeric powder, pav bhaji masala, paprika, red chili powder and stir well. Continue to stir till the onions are cooked well with all the spices.
7. Add the crushed tomatoes and saute for a couple of minutes. Let it simmer for a few minutes.
8. In the meanwhile, using a potato or vegetable masher, mash the cooked vegetables and the cooked dry peas.
9. Add the cooked and mashed vegetables and dry peas into the simmering pan with sauteed onions and crushed tomatoes. Stir well, cover and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
10. Add butter and a little brown sugar. You can also add a little fresh lemon juice to the bhaji mix. Turn off the stove and the pav bhaji is ready to serve.
11. In a serving plate, place a toasted bun, some finely chopped red onions and tomatoes to serve the pav bhaji masala.
12. Serve the pav bhaji warm, garnished with some of the cooked green peas and finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves.
For the vegetables, eggplant, cabbage and any other vegetable of your choice may also be used.
2. Potato/vegetable masher