1 Cup (16 tbs) (Pea seeds from inside the beans used)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Frozen green beans used)
Green chili paste
1⁄2 Teaspoon (Use as per your taste)
1 Teaspoon (Use as per your taste)
1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)
Brown sugar/White sugar
1 Tablespoon, chopped finely
1. Take the ridge gourds, peel them and chop them into cubes. Wash, rinse very well and set aside.
2. Take the long beans, slit it and take out the pea seeds from inside into a bowl. These peas are used in the curry. Also add some frozen green beans to the bowl.
3. Wash and rinse all the vegetables well.
4. Into a heated pressure cooker pot, add a couple of tablespoons of oil. When the oil is warm, add the mustard seeds.
5. When the mustard seeds splutter add the vegetables and stir well.
6. Add the green chili paste, garlic paste, garam masala (optional), salt and a pinch of turmeric powder. Mix all the spices well with the vegetables and let it cook.
7. Do not add water as the vegetables release a lot of water in which the curry may be cooked. Close the pressure cooker and cook till you hear about 4 to 5 whistles of pressure release.
8. Once done, open the pressure cooker after all the pressure inside is gone. Add the finely chopped fresh cilantro and sugar. Stir and the curry is ready to serve.
9. Serve the dish warm with rice and roti.
Any of the lentils or beans may be used for cooking this dish.
If you are looking for some Gujarati recipes, then do check this out. Chef Bhavna shows how to make the ridge gourd curry. It's very tasty and healthy too. You can serve the curry with roti. Do check out the video.
Ridge Gourd Or Chinese Okra Curry - Turiya Choli Nu Shak Recipe Video