Muthia or Muthiya (Steamed Dumplings with Vegetable or Herb)
|Dry ingredients for the dough|
|Jowar flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Cracked wheat or whole wheat flour may be used)|
|Gram flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Dhokla flour or kapuriya flour may be used)|
|Corn flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Ground cumin||2 Teaspoon|
|Papad khar||1⁄2 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Sugar||1 Teaspoon (Use as per your taste) (Optional)|
|Crushed peanuts||2 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon (Use as required)|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Wet ingredients for the dough|
|Yogurt/Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Green chili paste||1 Teaspoon (Use as per your taste)|
|Fresh dill||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Fenugreek leaves or spinach or green onion or shredded bottle gourd or even pigeon peas may be sued)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as required)|
|For the seasoning|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Asafoetida||1 Pinch (Optional)|
1. Into the steamer add about 1 liter of water to steam the dumplings and bring it to a boil.
2. Using a cooking spray, lightly grease a steaming tray (with holes) and set it on top inside the steamer.
3. Clean the fresh dill leaves, wash, rinse and chop them finely. Set aside.
4. Meanwhile, in a bowl take the jowar flour, corn flour and the gram flour. Use a spoon to combine well.
5. Add salt, ground cumin, papad khar, sugar, crushed peanuts, sesame seeds and turmeric powder. Mix all the ingredient well to combine.
6. Add oil, yogurt, green chili paste and the freshly chopped dill leaves. Combine well.
7. Add water little at a time and combine well.
8. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on top and make dumplings (muthiyas) and place into the prepared steamer. Steam for about 20 to 25 minutes.
9. Once done, set them aside to cool. Once the muthiyas are cool enough, cut them into bite size pieces.
10. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil, mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the muthiyas and saute them till slightly golden brown.
11. Serve as a snack at tea time.
Dumplings of bite size may be made and can be either steamed or fried.
If the dumplings are to be fried, reduce the quantity of oil added to the dough.
Calories 205 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g22.1%
Saturated Fat 1.8 g9.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0.39 mg0.13%
Sodium 156.8 mg6.5%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.1 g8.3%
Sugars 1.3 g
Protein 3 g6.9%
Vitamin A 4.9% Vitamin C 2.8%
Calcium 3.3% Iron 7.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet