Dahi Vada (Wada) - Lentil Balls(Dumplings) with Flavored Yogurt
|For the vada batter|
|Split black gram||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Urad dal)|
|Split green gram||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Moong dal)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use as required to blend)|
|For seasoning the batter|
|Ginger paste||1 Pinch|
|Green chili paste||1 Pinch|
|Ground cumin||1 Pinch|
|For the dahi vada|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Yogurt||2 Cup (32 tbs), beaten|
|For garnishing the dahi vada|
|Tamarind chutney||2 Tablespoon|
|Cilantro and mint chutney||2 Tablespoon|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Mint leaves/Cilantro leaves||4 Medium|
1. Wash and soak the split black gram and the split green gram overnight or at least for 4 to 6 hours.
2. After 6 hours, drain the water and blend the dals till smooth with the required amount of water. Do not add too much water.
3. Season the batter with salt, ground cumin, ginger and green chili. Whip the batter for a couple of minutes til it gets fluffy and light.
4. Heat a pan with oil for frying, spoon in small portions of batter and deep fry the vadas in small batches.
5. Drain the fried vadas into a paper towel, to remove the excess oil.
6. Drop the vadas into luke warm water and let it soak for about 15 to 20 minutes.
7. While the vadas are soaking, beat yogurt in a bowl very well until smooth.
8. Season the yogurt with salt and sugar to taste. Mix well and set aside.
9. Carefully squeeze out the water from the vadas; make sure the vadas do not break.
10. In a deep dish, arrange the vadas and pour the beaten yogurt over it. Refrigerate it for a couple of hours. If you need to serve early, place it in the freezer for about half an hour.
11. Serve the dahi vadas drizzled with tamarind chutney, cilantro chutney, garnished with sprinkles of red chili powder and mint leaves.