Handvo - Steamed Savory Vegetable Cake - Gujarati Cuisine
|For the handvo mix|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tur dal||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Split pigeon peas)|
|Split black gram||2 Tablespoon (Urad dal)|
|Split green gram||2 Tablespoon (Moong dal)|
|Bengal gram dal||2 Tablespoon (Chana dal)|
|For the batter before fermentation|
|Ginger paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Papad khar||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Corn flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Warm water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as required to make the batter)|
|For the batter after fermentation|
|Sour cream||1 Tablespoon|
|Eno fruit salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Zucchini||1 Medium, shredded, drained|
|Fresh cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely (Optional)|
|For the seasoning|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Curry leaves||8 Medium|
|Sesame seeds||2 Tablespoon|
1. Prepare the handvo powder mix by powdering rice, tur dal, black gram dal, split green gram and Bengal gram.
2. To this prepared 1 cup of handvo powder mix, add 2 tablespoons of yogurt, 3 tablespoons of oil, ginger paste, green chili paste and salt to taste.
3. Add ground cumin, turmeric powder, coriander powder, brown sugar, papad khar and corn flour.
4. Gradually add water in little quantity at a time and mix well to form the batter. Cover and let it ferment for 6 to 8 hours.
5. Shred a zucchini and drain out all the water from it using a strainer.
6. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
7. After the batter has fermented, add sour cream and eno fruit salt. Mix well to combine.
8. Add the shredded and drained zucchini and mix it well into the batter.Give it a taste and adjust salt if required.
9. Pour the batter in a baking tray/mold, even the surface using a spatula and set aside.
10. Prepare seasoning, using a small pan heated with oil, and crackled mustard seeds. Add asafoetida and curry leaves and pour the seasoning mixture evenly over the batter in the baking tray/mold.
11. Finally sprinkle some sesame seeds all over the batter.
12. Bake the handvo in the preheated oven for about 45 to 50 minutes.
13. Serve the handvo warm.
Traditionally handvo is made using bottle gourd or shredded carrot or pigeon peas or fenugreek leaves. A combination of the pigeon peas and the fenugreek leaves may also be used.
Traditionally handvo is steamed or cooked over boiling water.
If you want to prepare handvo really quickly, then cook on a heavy bottom non-stick pan with a lid on it. Spread the batter, 1-inch thick or less and cook on the stove top.
Handvo can also be baked in cupcake pans.
While baking the handvo in the oven, use the broil setting towards the last few minutes of the bake to brown the top and make it crispy.
2. Baking tray