Idli - Cocktail Idlis and Dhokla Sandwich
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Idli batter||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Kosher salt||1 Teaspoon|
|Eno fruit salt||3 Teaspoon (1 Teaspoon to each of the three portions of the batter)|
|Date and tamarind chutney||2 Tablespoon|
|Cilantro and mint chutney||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a bowl add the homemade idli mix (refer earlier recipe for ingredients list), and gradually add water a little at a time to prepare the idli batter.
2. Add kosher salt and mix the batter well.
3. Cover and let it sit for about 4 to 6 hours for fermentation.
4. Prepare the date and tamarind chutney (refer notes below for ingredients list), add some paprika to it for added red color. Set aside.
5. Prepare the mint and cilantro chutney (refer notes below for ingredients list) and set aside.
6. Take water in the steamer/idli cooker and bring it to a boil.
7. Meanwhile, separate the fermented batter into three separate bowls.
8. Add the date and tamarind chutney to one of the bowls with the batter; and add the mint and cilantro chutney to the other batter. Leave one of the bowls with plain batter.
9. Take the idli molds, grease them with some cooking spray. Pour the batter into the molds, some red, some green and some plain white. Place the molds in the steamer and let it steam for about 15 to 20 minutes.
10. Once cooked, remove the idlis from the mold carefully using a knife and they are ready to serve.
11. Serve the cocktail idlis with sambhar, cucumber raita or any chutney of your choice.
Dhokla sandwich can be made in the similar way. Another alternate option is to make very thin Dhoklas and then spread the chutney of your choice in between two dhoklas to make the dhokla sandwich.
Idli mix is prepared by grinding into powder 1 cup of par boiled rice and 1/2 cup of skinless urad dal.
As an alternate option the rice and urad dal can be soaked in water overnight and then mixed to form the batter. Then let the batter ferment for about 4 to 6 hours.
For the mint and cilantro chutney:
Fresh cilantro leaves, 2 bunches (200 gm)
Fresh mint leaves, 1 bunch (100 gm)
Green chilies, 3 Medium, chopped
Garlic, 3 Clove (15 gm), chopped
Ginger, 1 Small, chopped (1-inch piece peeled and chopped)
Lime, 1⁄4 Medium, juiced
Olive oil, 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
Sesame seeds, 2 Tablespoon
Salt, 1 Teaspoon (Use as per taste)
Water, 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as needed)
For the date and tamarind chutney:
Dates, 2 Cup (32 tbs), deseeded
Tamarind, 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), de-seeded
Jaggery/Brown sugar, 1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Jaggery soaked and dissolved in water)
Chili powder, 1 Teaspoon
Cumin powder, 1 Teaspoon
Salt To Taste
2. Steamer/ idli cooker
Calories 160 Calories from Fat 52
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.1%
Saturated Fat 0.78 g3.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 955.8 mg39.8%
Total Carbohydrates 24 g8%
Dietary Fiber 2.4 g9.4%
Sugars 1.4 g
Protein 4 g7.6%
Vitamin A 17.4% Vitamin C 2.7%
Calcium 0.3% Iron 2.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet