1. Soak the red kidney beans in water overnight.
2. Boil and cook the kidney beans (rajma) and set aside.
3. Take a pot, heated with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add carom seeds, asafoetida, turmeric powder, ginger and garlic paste. Stir slightly.
4. (Add finely chopped onions at this point. Chef in this video uses Onion paste, so the paste can be added in the end). Add the chopped tomatoes, stir and let it cook until tender. Cover and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
5. Once the tomatoes form a gravy, add the other spices like red chili powder, salt and the onion paste. Stir everything well for a couple of minutes.
6. Add the boiled red kidney beans, water, cover it and let it simmer.
7. Add the plain yogurt or sour cream (optional) and garam masala (optional).
8. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro and the rajma is ready to serve.
9. Serve warm with rice, roti, naan or paratha.
In a mood of making rajma curry, then you should try this out. Rajma curry is a very popular Punjabi dish. It is very delicious and easy to make. It is normally served with hot rice. Do check out the video for this interesting recipe.