Ripe Banana Curries- Kela Methi Nu Shaak, Stuffed Banana Curry
|For the banana masala mix|
|Bananas||2 Large, peeled, cut into thick slices (6 baby bananas may be used)|
|Fenugreek leaves||2 Bunch (200 gm), chopeed|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|For the ripe banana curry|
|Mustard seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste/Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Juice of lemon||1⁄2 Medium (Optional)|
|For the stuffed ripe banana curry|
|Bananas||3 Large, cut into thick slices, with skin on|
|Ground peanuts||3 Tablespoon|
|Gram flour||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely, divided|
|Oil||3 Tablespoon (2-3)|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (use as needed)|
To prepare the ripe banana curry:
1. In a bowl add the sliced bananas, fenugreek leaves, ginger paste, salt, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix to combine all the ingredients well. Set aside.
2. Take a pot and heat it with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add mustard seeds, when they pop add asafoetida, then add the prepared mix of bananas, stir well.
3. Add green chili paste, garam masala and the juice squeezed from half a lemon. Stir well.
4. Serve warm.
To prepare the stuffed ripe banana curry:
1. Take 2 large bananas, cut off the tips and cut the bananas into 2-inch thick slices. Score the banana slices, from half point downwards, along the length. Set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl add the ground peanuts, gram flour, ginger paste, garlic paste, salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder, freshly chopped cilantro, asafoetida, oil, cumin powder and garam masala. Using your hands, mix all the ingredients well.
3. Take the scored banana slices and stuff the filling into each of them and set them aside.
4. Take a pot with some oil, place all the stuffed banana pieces into them and cook them on a medium heat. Add a little water, cover and cook for about 5 to 7 minutes till the banana pieces turn soft.
5. Sprinkle some freshly chopped cilantro and turn off the heat.
6. Serve warm with the naan, roti, paratha or even rice.