1. Heat a heavy bottomed pan, with butter. Add cumin seeds, turmeric powder, sliced onions and tomatoes. Mix well.
2. Add the boiled and mashed potatoes and water.
3. Add the garlic paste, ginger paste and green chili paste. Stir to combine all the ingredients well.
4. Add a little chaat masala and freshly chopped cilantro and stir well. Take the potato mixture off the heat and cool it.
5. Add shredded cabbage to the mixture if desired or can be added separately in the sandwich. (In the video, the chef uses left over sambharo - a dish made out of shredded cabbage).
6. Toast the bread slices, spread butter on them, spread the potato mixture, add the shredded cabbage, shredded paneer followed by sprinkles of some paprika.
7. Close the sandwich and spread some butter on top of it with some paprika sprinkled.
8. As an alternate option the butter can be first spread on the non-toasted bread slices, then the potato filling spread followed by the shredded cabbage and paneer and close the sandwich. Spread more butter on top of it and place the sandwich inside the toaster and toast it golden brown.
9. Serve the sandwiches warm or cold as a snack.
In a mood of trying an Indian sandwich, then try making the masala sandwich. It's different from the regular sandwiches. It is very easy to make. You can toast the sandwich or eat it just like that. Chef Bhavna makes this sandwich in Indian style. Do check out the video.