Violet or Purple Yam - Ratalu or Garadu (Purple Yam or Potato Sandwich)
|Oil||2 Tablespoon (For sauteing the masala mixture)|
|Cooking spray||3 Dash (To grease the tray)|
|Potatoes||2 Medium, sliced|
|Purple yam||250 Gram, sliced|
|For the masala mixture|
|Shredded coconut/Coconut flakes||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Ground peanuts/Ground almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon|
|Golden raisins||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Coriander powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||4 Tablespoon (or to taste)|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Cilantro||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a bowl, with the shredded coconut add the ground peanuts, sesame seeds and chopped golden raisins.
2. Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala and salt.
3. To the added ingredients, add brown sugar, garlic paste, ginger paste, finely chopped fresh cilantro and a couple of tablespoons of juice squeezed out of a fresh lemon as well. Use a spoon to mix to combine all the ingredients well.
4. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add the prepared masala mixture and saute it on a medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes. Take the mixture off from the stove and let it cool.
5. Prepare the steamer on the stove, by filling the base of the steamer with water and keeping it to boil. Use a cooking spray to grease the pan/tray that will go into the steamer.
6. Take the lightly greased tray/pan, arrange the potato slices and purple yam slices at the bottom. Spoon a little of the masala mixture on top of it to form another layer.
7. Again lay the top of the masala mixture with another layer of potato purple yam slices, followed by a layer of the prepared masala mixture. Finish the layering with all the left over slices of purple yam.
8. Carefully place the pan inside the steamer and let it steam for about 15 to 20 minutes at high heat. After 20 minutes check if the potatoes and the yam are well cooked.
9. Once well cooked, take the pan out of the steamer and the dish is ready to serve.
10. Serve as an appetizer at any time during the day.