Lapsi (Bulgar Sweet) or Lapsi Halwa- Creamy Cracked Wheat
|Ghee||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cracked wheat||1 Cup (16 tbs) (lapsi)|
|Hot water||4 Cup (64 tbs) (Add more water depending on how much needed to cook the cracked wheat)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As per your taste)|
|Mixed nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Mix of almond, cashews, and raisins)|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 Medium|
|Cardamom powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. Heat a pan to a medium temperature, add the ghee and when the ghee melts add the cracked wheat (lapsi) into it.
2. Keep stirring while it bubbles and cook until golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, in another pot boil 4 cups of water.
4. Gradually add the hot water into the pan with the lapsi. Let it cook well until all the water is evaporated. (If required add more water for the lapsi to cook).
5. Once all the water is evaporated, cover the pan and let it cook on a low to medium heat for a while.
6. Check if the lapsi is well cooked, if not, add more water, cover and let it cook again on a low medium heat.
7. Once all the water is evaporated and the lapsi is completely cooked (after almost 45 minutes), add the sugar and the mix of almonds, cashews and raisins. Mix well, cover and cook again till all the water released by the sugar evaporates.
8. Check on the lapsi, and the sugar syrup would be thickening now. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes.
9. Uncover and add the saffron (powdered using a mortar and pestle), cinnamon sticks and the cloves. Mix well, cover and cook at a very low temperature for another 15 minutes or more.
10. Lastly add the cardamom powder, mix well and turn off the heat.
11. Serve lapsi on any auspicious ocassion.
It takes almost 30 to 45 minutes to cook one cup of cracked wheat.
The more you cook the cracked wheat on a medium low heat, the better it would taste.