Karela is widely used in India and china. This bitter vegetable contains essential minerals such as calcium, potassium, copper, iron, and also vitamins A, b1 and b2. And when you make curry out of this vegetable, you won't feel the bitterness. Karela can be cooked with other vegetables such as onion, potato and tomato. But I simply love Karela. I love this curry with sweet rotis such as puran poli(vermi) or Jaggery Roti(gud roti)
Green chili paste
1⁄2 Teaspoon (or to taste)
1 1⁄2 Tablespoon
1. Prepare the bitter gourd by removing the stems from both the ends. Take out the hard seeds and slice them into thin circles or half circles.
2. Wash and rinse the cut bitter gourd well. Squeeze out the water using your palms.
3. To reduce the bitterness of the bitter gourd (karela), sprinkle some salt, mix well and let it rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Heat a pan with a couple of tablespoons of oil, add the bitter gourd pieces, cover it and let it cook on a medium heat for about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
5. Add green chili paste, garlic paste, crushed or ground peanuts, sesame seeds, turmeric powder, coriander powder and jaggery. Stir well to combine everything together.
6. Taste the curry and add salt only if needed. Let it cook for a couple of minutes and turn off the heat.
7. Serve with jaggery roti (sweet roti) or regular roti.
If you like eating karela, then you should try this recipe out. It is simply amazing and is easy to cook. This vegetable is rich in minerals. You can cook karela with other vegetables such as onion, potato and tomato. Watch the video for this healthy recipe.
Karela Sabji - Karela Nu Shak- Bitter Gourd Curry Recipe Video