Dudhi Muthiya or Kofta (Bottle Gourd Balls) - Gujarati
|Bottle gourd||1 Small, shredded (about 1 cup of shredded, squeezed gourd)|
|Jowar flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Gram flour||3 Tablespoon|
|Corn flour||5 Tablespoon (4-5)|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Pinch|
|Sugar||1 Tablespoon (Optional)|
|Coriander powder||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Garlic paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Oil||7 Tablespoon, divided (5 to 6 tablespoons while mixing the dough and 1 tablespoon to be drizzled while cooking)|
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
1. Take a bottle gourd, wash it well, pat it dry and peel it.
2. Using a shredder, shred the peeled bottle gourd into a bowl.
3. Take handfuls of the shredded bottle gourd and squeeze out all the water from it and set aside.Repeat and squeeze out water from all the shredded gourd.
4. Take a mixing bowl, add the jowar flour, gram flour, corn flour, cumin powder, turmeric powder, sugar, salt and coriander powder. Mix all these dry ingredients well.
5. Then add the green chili paste, ginger and garlic paste. Also add the shredded bottle gourd (all liquid squeezed out well).
6. Add about 5 to 6 tablespoons of oil into the mixture and combine well using your hands, till the consistency is like that of a kneaded dough. Roll dough into small balls.
7. Heat oil in a pan, and half fry the muthiyas in small batches till slightly brownish in color. Drain into another frying pan.
8. Place the pan with the half fried muthiyas in a stove heated at very low temperature, drizzled with some oil.
9. If possible arrange them in a single layer. Cover and let it cook slowly in the steam produced inside the covered pan. Stir occasionally till done.
10. Serve warm as it is, or use in cooking other Indian dishes.
No water is required while combining the mixture, as the bottle gourd releases moisture.
Calories 200 Calories from Fat 119
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.6%
Saturated Fat 1.7 g8.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 52.4 mg2.2%
Total Carbohydrates 19 g6.2%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.9%
Sugars 2 g
Protein 2 g4.6%
Vitamin A 1.3% Vitamin C 13.1%
Calcium 2.7% Iron 4.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet