Spicy Coconut Chutney
|Coconut||1 Cup (16 tbs), peeled and cut in small pieces|
|Chana dal||2 Tablespoon|
|Yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (Adjust To Taste)|
|Serrano green chilies||2 , cut in small pieces|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon (If Needed)|
|Black mustard seed||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Red chilies||2 , broken in pieces|
1. Peel the coconut and cut into small pieces so they are easier to blend.
2. Coarsely grind the chana dal in a blender.
3. Roast chana dal on medium heat until it is light brown in color and has a roasted aroma.
4. Add yogurt, green chilies and salt to the chana dal and blend into a paste.
5. Add coconut to the paste, a few pieces at a time and keep blending. Add water, as needed, to help with the grinding. Adding the coconut in small amounts also helps this process.
6. Before removing from blender, taste chutney to adjust the salt and pepper. Use lemon juice to adjust the sourness as per your liking.
7. To prepare the seasoning: Heat oil in small pan and add black mustard seeds and wait till they crack.
8. Add asafetida, red chilies and curry leaves.
9. Pour the seasoning mixture over the chutney and mix well.
10. Coconut chutney can be refrigerated up to a week.
11. Serve with Indian bread or fried food.