Pav Bhaji - Indian Vegetarian
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Cabbage||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), shredded|
|Red bell peppers||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Green bell peppers||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|French beans||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Cauliflower||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Ginger paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Eggplant||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Potato||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), shredded|
|Carrot||1 Cup (16 tbs), shredded|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Use as required for cooking the vegetables)|
|Tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped finely|
|Split peas||1 Cup (16 tbs), cooked (Dry skinless split peas used)|
|Red chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Pav bhaji garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Green peas||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
1. Take a flat pan or wok, add a little bit of oil and heat it to a medium temperature.
2. Add cumin seeds, asafoetida, finely chopped onions and stir till they are caramelized.
3. Add the cabbage, red and green bell peppers, green beans (French beans) and the cauliflower pieces. Saute for a couple of minutes.
4. Add the ginger paste, garlic paste and turmeric powder and stir well.
5. Add the shredded potato, carrots and salt. Stir well to combine all the ingredients well.
6. Add a little water, stir well, cover and let all the vegetables cook.
7. After a few minutes, uncover the pan and add the tomatoes, cooked split peas, red chili powder, pav bhaji garam masala, paprika and stir well to blend in all the spices with the vegetables.
8. Add a little more water, stir and cook covered for a few more minutes stirring occasionally.
9. After a while when the vegetable mixture starts bubbling, use a masher and mash the vegetables very carefully while it simmers on the heat.
10. Stir the green peas into the bhaji mix. Top it with some butter and freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
11. Finally squeeze into it some fresh lemon juice, stir and turn off the heat.
12. Serve hot with buns (pav) and freshly cut vegetables garnished with lime wedges.
Here is the recipe to make pav bhaji garam masala
Red chili, 50 grams
Coriander seeds, 50 grams
Cumin seeds, 25 grams
Black pepper, 25 grams
Cinnamon, 25 grams
Cloves, 25 grams
Cardamom, 5 medium
Dry mango powder/tamarind powder, 25 grams
Fennel seeds, 10 grams
Turmeric powder, 1 tablespoon
Roast all the ingredients separately. When cooled, grind and mix with dry mango powder, turmeric powder and store in an airtight container.